About the Chapel
Laying of corner stone and opening of Primitive Methodist Chapel at Sleighty.
Rochdale Observer 3 April 1869.
On Saturday last the corner stone of a new Primitive Methodist Chapel was laid by Henry Bamford, of Wardle. Scholars, teachers and friends met in a small warehouse at Crossfield Mill, belonging to Mr Bamford and used as a school and preaching room. The whole Company marched in procession to the new site at Newhouse, at the top of Birch Road, and often referred to as Sleighty. After the ceremony a tea meeting was held in the Wesleyan school room.
Rochdale Observer 26 June 1869.
On Sunday last the above place of worship was opened for divine worship when three sermons were preached; morning and evening by Rev E Bishop and afternoon by Rev W Wilkinson. Collections came to £12 5s 0d.
Mr John Ashworth, author of;Strange Tales, lectured on Monday evening on;Travels in Jerusalem and the East, attendance was so large that many people could not gain admittance, the night being fine.
The chapel is a plain brick building designed to accommodate 120 persons. Estimated cost being £300.
Wardle Urban District Council
Old Council Offices at Sleighty, originally built as Primitive Methodist Chapel in 1869More
Extracts from the Wardle Urban District Council Year Book, 1970-71.
- First meeting of the Wuerdle and Wardle Local Board, was held on August 26th, 1874 under the chairmanship of William Schofield.
- Conveyance of land, Lower Sewage Works, 12th October, 1888.
- In 1894 the Local Board was formed into an Urban District Council.
- By an order dated 4th June, 1894, portions of the Township of Wardle were severed and added to the County Borough of Rochdale and Urban District of Littleborough respectively.
- The first meeting of the Wardle U.D.C. was held on January 3rd, 1895, under the chairmanship of Thomas Lord, Esq.
- Agreement for use of road, Lower Sewage Works, W. Heap and Co., 5th May, 1898.
- On August 3rd, 1899 the District was divided into Wards by order of the Local Government Board, the following being the names of the first members elected : Harry Bamford, Adam Mills, Richard Best, James Schofield, Wesley Bamford, John Stott, Joseph Butterworth , Simeon Stott, Edward Howard.
- Library and Reading Rooms, Wardle Road, opened January 27th, 1906 (Transferred to County Council 1st December, 1948).
- Conveyance of land Higher Sewage Works, 17th June, 1913
- Rest Gardens and War Memorial conveyance of land, dated 24th April, 1920.
- Conveyance of land and building at Waterhouse, 21st June, 1920.
- Great Howarth Housing Site, first house occupied 6th February, 1922.
- Greengate widening carried out May, 1924
- Lower Sewage Works reconstruction carried out.
- Birch Road widening, sections 1 and 2 carried out 1924-25.
- Rochdale Corporation Bus Service to Wardle commenced running 24th May, 1926.
- Ramsden Road Improvement carried out April, 1930.
- Watergrove Waterworks commenced August 1930.
- Tramways ceased to run in Halifax Road. 18th October, 1930.
- Ramsden Road Housing Estate, first house occupied 23th April, 1931.
- Dyehouse Lane, corner of Conveyance of land dated 31st December, 1931.
- Wardle Nursing Association formed October 25th, 1932. (Now Wardle Nursing and Benevolent Association w.e.f. 5th July, 1948)
- Birch Road Housing Estate, first house occupied 27th January, 1934.
- Shelter and Conveniences, Wardle Road, erected April, 1934.
- L.C.C. School Clinic opened at old Methodist School, Wardle, June 6th, 1934.
- Sodium system of Street Lighting installed on Halifax Road, October 1935.
- Top Sewage Works dismantled and Lower Sewage Works reconstructed and enlarged; completed January, 1936.
- New Offices and Council Chamber, Wardle Road, declared open by H. Sutcliffe, Esq., M.P., on 28th March. 1936.
- East Ward Higher transferred to North Ward by order taking effect as from March 1st, 1937.
- Wardle Road widening opposite Lowhill Mill; completed March, 1937.
- Old Council Offices, Wardle, demolished March, 1937.
- Gloucester Avenue Housing Estate completed (including Bungalows for aged persons). First house occupied March 27th 1937.
- Playing Fields, Wardle Road, opened on Coronation Day, May 12th, 1937.
- 38 Houses and Bungalows, Birch Road Estate. First house occupied Feb. 26th, 1938
- Watergrove Waterworks, official opening April 6th, 1938.
- Temporary Prefabricated Bungalows First Bungalow occupied 14th September, 1946.
- Wardle Fold Housing Estate, First House occupied 19th July, 1947.
- Ashbrook Housing Estate, First House occupied 7th February, 1948.
- Tennis Courts opened for play, 7th August, 1948.
- Ward Boundaries revised from 1st May, 1948.
- Bowling Green opened for play, 5th July, 1949.
- War Memorial, Shelter and Gardens opened 15th July, 1950.
- East Ward Playing Field, opened 15th May, 1952.
- North Ward Playing Field, opened 1st August 1952.
- Chairman’s Badge and Chain of Office acquired by public subscription and presented to the Council 18th May. 1954.
- Ashbrook Estate. No. 2 Scheme. First House occupied 25th December, 1954.
- Ash Close (32 Flats). First Flats occupied 27th April, 1957.
- Wardle Old People’s Welfare Committee held its first Meeting 28th Nov., 1957.
- Sodium system of street lighting installed on Wardle Ramsden Road, September, 1959.
- Elm Grove Bungalows, First Bungalow occupied 17th April, 1962.
- Improvement Junction Birch Road and Halifax Road completed May, 1962.
- Class A 1 Street Lighting Installed on Halifax Road, July 1955.
- Howarth Green Flats. First Flat occupied 13th March, 1967.
Under The Local Goverment Act of 1972 Wardle Urban District Council was abolished and on the 1 April 1974 was incorporated into Rochdale Metropolitan Borough Council.
Vehicles from Wardle fleet handed over to RMBC in 1974.
One retaining its original Wardle UDC lettering.
Image courtesy of G.Bottomley