(src-1) - 'Wardle National School Log Book1864-' Rochdale Local Studies, Deposit 297.Close
Monday April 9 1866
"The village has not been supplied with work of late in consequence of two mills being entirely closed and only partially running. These being the case a number of families have left thereby causing our numbers to decrease."
Monday February 14 1870
"Many families are leaving the village in consequence of the largest cotton- mill having stopped and it is reported that another is about to stop. Circumstances over which we have no control are making our school less."
It is thought that the mill stopped was the New Bacup and Wardle Commercial Mill. Later the site of Cornbrook Resin Mill.
A street numbering system for Wardle appeared for the first time in the census records for 1891. Prior census years only recorded the individual names of : outlying farms: prominent addresses and general areas of the parish e.g Polly Green, Bull Green, Sleighty, Lawflat, Wasp,Wardle Fold.Close
The population enumerated is that residing within the ecclesiastical parish of St. James the Apostle.
The parish came into being in 1859 and its population statistics were first published by the Census authorities in 1861.
Data taken from census reports and CEBs indicate that the population probably peaked about 1851.
There are no conclusive statistics prior to the first Victorian census of 1841 that detail the population size for the late 18c and early 19c periods.
From 1851 onwards the population of Wardle trends downwards with a sharp fall-off after 1881.This can be seen in stark contrast to the rising population levels both nationally for England and Wales and locally for the Rochdale Union.
One reason why the population of Wardle was in decline might be found from entries in the Wardle National School log book(src-1) made by the head John Ormesher.More
The age structure of 1851 is markedly youth full with children under the age of 15 forming 41% of the population.
However by 1911 children made up only 26% of the population and the size of the age group 30-64 had increased by 16%.
It has been suggested by other writers that at times of low employment there was a gradual creaming off of the younger and most enterprising elements of the population to seek job opportunities elsewhere.
This coupled with the tendency of those couples remaining to have less children with consequently less mouths to feed thereby hastening de-population.
|1851||2227||442||5.0||excludes calfhey workhouse|
|1911||1559||397||3.9||excludes cottage homes|
At the time of the 1851 census households were fairly large and an average size of 5, with half of the households containing from 4 to 7 people.
There was by 1911 a shift in emphasis towards smaller groupings with a little over two thirds of the households now containing no more than 4 people with an average household size of 3.9.
The decrease in Wardles' population from 1851 to 1911 may not have been solely due to the national trend toward smaller families but was more likely to be a result of household migration out of the parish.
This can be seen from the table below that shows the number of households recorded to be resident at addresses which were easily identifiable as being the same place in both census years 1851 and 1911More.
By 1911 there were 131 fewer households resident at the known addresses. Just over 500 parishoners had moved from many of its more remote locations. It is worth noting, that from later records, it is known that some of the properties were only temporarily unoccupied and were again inhabited when the compulsory purchase notification was issued to the residents of Watergrove in 1929. Bowers Row, for one is an example of this.
The trend seems to be one of a gradual exodus of families from the most outlying properties of the parish as local industries declined.
|ALDER BANK MILL||1||0|
|GRINDROD HADES BARN||1||0|
|MIDLE HILL BARN||1||0|
|STID HEY BOTTOM||4||1|
|TOP OF THE MEADOWS||1||1|
|WOOD END LANE||2||2|