The purpose of this website is to collect, and display historical evidence about Wardle and Watergrove and its people.Whats New
New Dataset Added
New Links Added
Sources of historical evidence are wide-ranging, diverse and can be found in many forms from the earliest written and printed records to photographic images which became widely available from the late 19c onwards.
One of the most detailed records of Early Modern Wardle can be found in the Rochdale Manor Survey which was carried out in 1626 to record the holdings of the chief tenants of the crown lands by the then owner of the manor, Sir Robert Heath, prior to its sale to Sir John Byron in 1638.
The survey identifies the major tenants, the amount of rent they paid and the size, name and location of their holdings. Many of the 1626 place names recorded are still in use today Place names
Place Names extracted from 1626 Manor Survey.
Blachingworth, Broding Hades, Brown Wardle, Brown Wardle Hill,
Cleggs Bank,Clough House,Crey Pasture, Crooke, Crooke Lande, Featherstone Common,
Hades, Harleslack, High Lees, HighWardle, Hollinghurst, Howarth Pasture,
Le Leather. Little Warhull, Lowse,
Mabrod, Middle Hil, Middlewood, Monstone Edge,
Shore, Steed, Steed Slack.
The Banke, The Hills, The Lee, The Walker, The Walker Bente, Turnaugh, Tyrick Earth,
White Hey Butts, Whorelowe, Whorestones,
Source: H. Fishwick, The Survey of the Manor of Rochdale,
The geographical area of Wardle is roughly circumscribed by the index map included with the 1626 survey Index Map
Source: H. Fishwick(Editor),
The Survey of the Manor of Rochdale,
The Chetham Society. Volume 71.
The civil administration boundaries can be found defined by the description of the 1841 Census, Enumeration Districts for Wuerdle and Wardle Description
1841 Census Description of the Enumeration District of the Hamlet of Wardle.
All that part of the Hamlet of Wardle which lies to the East up to Shore Moor extending from Middle Wood to Scots Coat and the Hay Brook on the West.
All that part of the Hamlet of Wardle which lies on the High road from Law flat to Harry Hill extending to the Hay Brook on the East and the Roads brook on the West.
All that part of the Hamlet of Wardle which lies on the High road from Wardle Fold to Little town extending to the Hey brook on the East and the Wardle Brook on the West.
All that part of the Hamlet beginning at Ridings and going North by Dog road, Clough House, Bent Head, and Roads Brook on the East Lower House Lane on the West to Rough Hill End.
All that part of the Hamlet of Wardle which lies to the West up to Lobden Moor, beginning at Clough Bottom and extending up the East side of Pot House, Ciss Hill, Hustid Nook and Lower House Lane to Brown Wardle Hill on the North.
One of the earliest records which identifies the community of Watergrove can be found in the Salford Quarter Session records of 1840, when the surveyors John Stott and Thomas Bamford of Wardle township made an application to divert the highway near a manufactory called Watergrove. Notice
Source: Lancaster Court of Quarter Sessions,
Petitions ,Michaelmas 1840,
Lancaster Archives Ref No QSP/3135/15
Copyright 2013, The Author, All rights reserved.